Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Bookmarks: Lauren Mayberry

Last week, Chvrches' Lauren Mayberry shared this:

Over on The Guardian's music blog, she shares what happened next. It's not exactly edifying:
Comments range from the disgusted and supportive to the offensively vile. My current favourites from the latter category include:

"This isn't rape culture. You'll know rape culture when I'm raping you, bitch"

"I have your address and I will come round to your house and give u anal and you will love it you twat lol"

"Act like a slut, getting treated like a sluy [sic]"

"It's just one of those things you'll need to learn to deal with. If you're easily offended, then maybe the music industry isn't for you"

But why should women "deal" with this? I am incredibly lucky to be doing the job I am doing at the moment – and painfully aware of the fact that I would not be able to make music for a living without people on the internet caring about our band. But does that mean that I need to accept that it's OK for people to make comments like this, because that's how women in my position are spoken to?


No comments:

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.