Monday, February 18, 2013

Countryobit: Mindy McCready

The sad, short life of Mindy McCready has come to a brutal end.

CNN quotes a post McCready made to her website last year:

"I haven't had a hit in almost a decade," she wrote in January 2012 on her official fan website. "I've spent my fortune, tarnished my public view and made myself the brunt of punch line after punch line. I've been beaten, sued, robbed, arrested, jailed, and evicted. But I'm still here. With a handful of people that I know and trust, a revived determination, and both middle fingers up in the air, I'm ready. I've been here before. I'm a fighter. I'm down, but I'll never be out."
McCready's father had her enter court-ordered rehab earlier this month, following the suicide of her partner David Wilson.

After a decade of rehab, reality TV show rehab, court appearances and suicide attempts - always churned through in public - it's sometimes hard to remember that McCready was originally famous for her music.

What makes the story more heartbreaking is McCready seemed to accept falling apart in public as if it was an essential part of a faustian pact. The New York Times quotes an interview with the Associated Press:
I think that's really the life of a celebrity, of a big, huge, giant personality."


1 comment:

Liza Love said...

You can't keep someone here who is determined to leave. This was a very broken woman and about the best to come out of all of it is she is at rest now. The living will clean up, preserve some happy memories and move on. Terribly sad for those who fought so hard to help her.

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.