Friday, October 14, 2011

Noel Gallagher: The showman speaks

Given that you're going to hear the Southern Fried Birds, I suppose nobody going to see Noel Gallagher's solo shows would be expecting to be entertained, but Noel is keen to stress just how dull the events will be:

He told BBC Radio 2: "I've got nothing to say to these people who are coming to see me apart from this song is called... I'm not really into audience participation. I wouldn't come down and look down at your computer while you're at work.
"They're here to listen to the music. You clap, I sing, good night, the end."
I guess the discovery that Noel Gallagher has nothing to say beyond the name of the songs shouldn't come as a surprise - his interviews are mostly acres of space dedicated to a man with nothing to say.

But how curious that he equates playing the songs he supposedly loves as being like doing a simple data-entry task. Perhaps if he really feels that way, he could just boil it down a little further: you buy a ticket to a Noel Gallagher gig, and instead of having to go and look at him - for who watches a person at work in other circumstances? - you just get a report of how well the songs were played sent to you by email the following day.


5 comments:

PeterD said...

As much as I dislike the mans music, that's probably more than Biffy Clyro give, I have seen them regularly live over the years and probably last year if I didn't know otherwise would I have been able to ascertain that they were Scottish.

Mikey said...

If there's no performance aspect wouldn't Noel's 'fans' be better off saving themselves the price of a pliable container of beer and a bus ticket and just buy the CD?

Simon Hayes Budgen said...

I'm also amused that he's not expecting any reaction beyond a bit of clapping. I suspect the look of mild disappoint may be added as a contractual obligation.

PeterD said...

Maybe he is expecting shuffling from foot to foot and people not being able to look him directly in the eye when he asks if people are having a good time.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that in the Radio 2 trailer for his impending concert Jo Whiley describes him as "one of Britain's most eloquent songwriters" - I wondered if she had just got an ironic dictionary for her birthday and was trying it out.

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.