Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Turns out 50% of Chely Wright's audience were homophobes

There seems to be a general assumption that coming out has been good for Chely Wright - which seems to be based on little more than people not really having heard of her before. But now she's been written about outside the country music press, so that's good, right?

Not entirely, no:

"In coming out I had a feeling that it would diminish my wage earning, and that feeling was correct... It didn't help my career.

"My record sales went directly in half. If it appears from the outside in that it's helped my career, it could be because I haven't talked about the negative."
That's in addition to the green inked letters and threats, of course.

Does she regret it, though?

Nope. And there are some things bigger than selling records to people who don't like gays.


No comments:

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.