Monday, June 14, 2010

Mick Karn unwell

Thanks to Peter D for alerting me to the sad news from Mick Karn that he's got cancer, compounded with financial difficulties:

With great sadness we regret to inform you that Mick has recently been diagnosed with advanced stages of cancer. Mick is currently in a positive mood and undergoing further tests and treatment. His family and friends are close with him, supporting him in practical ways, and surrounding him with their love, friendship and care.

Mick has been struggling financially for some considerable time now and we are hoping that this appeal may help to raise funds for any necessary treatment and perhaps go some way towards providing a small degree of financial support whilst Mick's immediate family provide the care and comfort we would all wish for him. We are hoping that his friends, fans and musical colleagues will, over the coming months, offer any support they feel capable of giving. Quite aside from the sheer brunt of daunting medically-related costs, Mick's clear and major concern is for the security and well being of his wife and young son.

If you would like to make a donation whether as an individual or as a group, you can do so via the paypal link [found on Mick's website] which has been set up for this sole and express purpose. Any support you are able to give, no matter how small, could make a difference in helping Mick cope during this difficult period. His friends will be looking at a variety of ways to raise funds.

Since the original message, there's been an update, with some better news from Mick:
Your comments and well wishes have left me speechless, in the same way that our news had affected you. The support and love you give me is felt by all of us here, every day.

At the time of first posting my news I was striving to obtain a medical card that would pay for treatment here in Cyprus and I am pleased to say that in recent days, since becoming officially diagnosed through a series of specific tests, the state will now take care of my basic medical costs, including referrals to Hospitals within the EU in the event that any procedure cannot be carried out here in Cyprus.

This is great news and comes as a genuine relief but I wanted to make clear that the donations that have been received will remain in a fund which will be used to augment the state care and allow me to look into alternatives that will help my fight with cancer, including options such as advanced treatments in the USA and other non-state-funded medical alternatives. It also affords me some peace of mind as, during this difficult time, I am not able to provide for my family's needs in a way that I would otherwise wish, and their security is my primary concern now. Obviously, their lives are dramatically impacted upon by my condition and your kind support helps me to feel that they will be able to manage a little better if I am not able to be with them.

I hope this makes sense to all of you who have made a donation because words cannot truly express the full scope of my gratitude and feeling of good fortune to have so many friends, both near and far, familiar and undiscovered until now, who are willing to help us out in this incredible way.

In other words: there's medical treatment, but there's still family finances being a worry. Donations through the website, if you'd like to help.


2 comments:

Olive said...

I think there's any number of artists who made a shedload of cash in the 80's who owe Japan a debt of thanks. I'm looking at you, Mr Le Bon. Highly recommended is Mick Karn's autobiography:

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/japan-and-self-existence/5538416

Unknown said...

god bless you mick never give in...just like my other hero barry sheene.........

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.