Saturday, April 10, 2010

Cliff Richard made a choice

You have to hope she didn't wait:

Sir Cliff Richard dumped his first serious girlfriend by letter, saying he had to put his pop career before any "lasting relationship".

With anyone else, you'd say the inclusion of the word 'lasting' there would have been a get-out clause to allow the odd one-night bunk-up. But this is Cliff Richard.

This is a letter Cliff wrote to his then girlfriend Delia Wicks, dumping her to spend more time with the Shadows:
"Being a pop singer I have to give up one priceless thing - the right to any lasting relationship with any special girl."

He also said it was "one of the biggest decisions" he would ever have to make.

The singer urged her to "find someone who is free to love you as you deserve to be loved" and who "is able to marry you".

He continues: "I couldn't give up my career, besides the fact that my mother and sisters, since my father's death, rely on me completely.

"I have showbiz in my blood now and I would be lost without it. "

There's a sneaking suspicion rising in my mind that Richard might have spent the last half-century sticking out records as an excuse for not being able to commit to a relationship.

But seriously, Cliff, are you saying Mistletoe And Wine was worth a life without kisses?


No comments:

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.